Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Recent Artworks

I made this one for the Virginia State Fair art competition. I used acrylics and painted the water with my fingers (as suggested by Natalie because I couldn't find my paintbrushes and was in an mad frenzy trying to find them, haha, of course I found them a day later where they were supposed to be, go figure). :) It didn't win or anything, but it's turned out to be one of my favorite paintings so far, and I even came up with a really great little story for my artist's statement (see below)
   Adrift
  After finally breaking through the strings that had once held them down, the six balloons set adrift over seas and mountains. They boldly set off on a voyage to nowhere, never to return, with only the wind to set their course. Never knowing what will happen next. Never knowing when or where they’ll land. Never doubting themselves, and yet never taking themselves too seriously, because they are, after all, only balloons.

  This one I painted for my mom for Christmas because she loves cherry blossoms :)
  I was waiting for a time when she would be gone for a long enough time for me to start painting it, but the thing is, the times she was gone long enough was usually when I was at school, so eventually I just told her that I was planning on painting her something and I needed her to disappear. lol :)
  I used mostly acrylics but the birds were made with chalk pastels.
This one is titled Hope (as in hope of spring and new things) (titled by mom)
This one (above) I wanted to make something with really bright, bold, warm colors contrasted with cool colors.


   This Christmas my family did a secret Santa thing, we pulled a random name from a bag and that was who we were supposed to buy (or in my case paint) for, I got my Grammie, and this is what I painted for her. It's all made with acrylic paint, the background I painted using a pallet knife.

2 comments:

  1. these all look great...the first one reminds me of a movie i watched called Danny Deckchair...he fills giant balloons with helium, attaches them to a lawn chair, then sets off to escape his miserable life, only to find a better one where he lands when all his balloons start to pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across this post. You are a budding artist!!! The flower one seems a bit Andy Warhol like. Can you guess which one is my very favorite???? You got it, the tree! I'm still looking for a better place to hang it than the dining room.

    ReplyDelete